Be a volunteer
The spirit animating us...is that of pure volunteering: collaboration and action for a BETTER world in family-style environment
Volunteering at the GMA Alem OdV is an expression of service, gratuity and solidarity. Any traveling and boarding expenses abroad shall be supported by volunteers themselves.
There are different possibilities for collaboration, it is important that everyone can identify the one most relevant to their abilities and attitudes.
You can make yourself useful here in Italy through active participation in on-site work, promoting new project and activities.
With Gma you'll have a wonderful experience in helping and sharing your skills for improving children's lives, training teachers and women in need.
Decalogue of volunteers
1. Respect – doesn’t judge or disdain – the opinion and customs of others and always collaborate with the host and those who work with him (in a spirit of teamwork!).
2. Don’t waste resources, be it food or time. It doesn’t waste money and utilities (water, electricity, telephone, etc…). He makes a cash fund for common expenses with the other volunteers and keeps them in mind.
3. He is honest, patient, he doesn’t show himself or his personal possessions (electronic items or gadgets) and he does his work professionally.
4. He doesn’t promise or delude, following the emotions of the moment.
5. Kindly, he refuses invitations to local houses and doesn’t surround himself with adulators who then disappear from the mission when he leaves.
6. He is sober in dressing, at times and in requests (transport, sightseeing, etc…).
7. He pays attention to his health: sleeping in the appropriate hours, eating carefully out of the mission (always cooked foods), using boiled or bottled water (also for brushing his teeth), not using drugs (imported or local, even when offers) or abusing alcohol.
8. He takes part joyously in activities, to the ceremonies, to the initiatives of the mission and of the group, respecting others and local customs and traditions.
9. Check his work periodically (with a sort of examination of conscience and group comparison) accepting the opinion of others.
10. The volunteer always keeps in mind the motivation that led him to others, in the spirit of a beautiful adventure that enriches it. Solidarity, knowledge, walking together.
This is an excerpt from testimony by a volunteer who was in Ethiopia:
"My son and I were very impressed by the experience in Shashamane and he gratefully remembers some aspects that particularly affected him and often shows his intention to return. This experience was certainly positive for him, as was it for me and for everyone because it allowed him to see first-hand what happens out of sight and how his less fortunate peers live. I suggest that everyone should share this opportunity.
It is an important moment of growth and those lucky enough to do so will always be positively marked. Thanks to you and to Father Silvio for having me and giving him this opportunity".
Italian Embassy in Addis Abeba +251 11 1235717
Sede GMA Alem OdV di Napoli in Licola (Napoli) 081 8043778
Prefisso dall’Italia 00251
Prefisso per l’Italia 0039
We recommend visiting the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs www.viaggiaresicuri.it in the Ethiopia file.